My work focuses on self-compassion, inner-bravery,
and discovering the mystery in our everyday lives.
Hi, I’m Vanessa Sage, PhD, and I’ve been immersed in the women’s spirituality movement for over 20 years! I’m a Priestess, a spiritual and business mentor, and a poet. I’ve led five cycles of women in Priestess Training, have written a book of poetry, and read tarot. I love finding wonder in my everyday life, and comfort in a good book and a cup of tea.
I have a PhD in cultural anthropology from McMaster University, and have published scholarly articles on Goddess Pilgrimage in Glastonbury, England and The Romantic Movement’s Influence on Contemporary Paganism. Over the course of my 10 year academic career, I studied: Buddhism, goddess spirituality, pilgrimage, contemporary paganism, and how hope for a city was embodied in an arts scene.
My Aim is that You Experience:
- A real felt sense of belonging and worthiness.
- A greater experience of peace and purpose.
- An increased connection to self, others and spirit.
- A sense of wonder and awe in the everyday
- Deep healing that comes from your own empowered knowing.
- Embodying a true acceptance of oneself as powerful and beautiful!
Over the last 5 years, I’ve trained as a life coach, taught insight meditation, and led heart-centred business classes for Jennifer Lee of the Right Brain Business Plan.
I walk this path with you.
I’m inspired by many spiritual traditions,
Do my own personal spiritual growth work,
And am a highly sensitive introverted empath.
You’ll notice that I talk about the Goddess, drum at the beginning of circles, invite you to be seen and heard, and have a very intuitive participatory teaching style. All the feelings are welcome in my work and there’s a lot of laughter when we meet.
I believe we’re all leaders and have valuable things to learn from each other.
I’m body positive, and am committed to providing a safe and welcoming space for people of all racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds, as well as sexual orientations and gender identities in my programs.
Some of my influences are: Pema Chödrön, Starhawk, Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Jack Kornfield, Mary Oliver, Christina Baldwin, Joanna Macy, Sally Kempton, Jean Shinoda Bolen, Sandra Ingerman, Ruth Barrett, David Whyte, John O’Donohue….and Kermit the Frog. You can see I’m pretty open!
You are invited to hold your own inner council & discover your inner divinity!
May you always know that you are meant to be exactly who you are in this world.
Send us an Email:
- Blue is my favourite colour.
- I don’t feel like myself without blue streaks in my hair.
- Lavender, sage and salt air are my favourite scents.
- I adore flowers but can’t seem to grow them or keep plants alive.
- Poetry is my first love. I not-so-secretly wish we lived in a world where poets made as much money as lawyers. Pass it on!
- I don’t have my driver’s licence. Sometimes I think I skipped a step into adulthood but who I am I kidding I have a hard time not looking up at the sky when I’m on a bike!
- My first fieldwork experience was when I was an undergrad, and I decided to go to Glastonbury to study Goddess pilgrimage. I published a paper on my work, and presented the research at Cambridge University. That was pretty neat!
- I’ve also studied Western Buddhist youth, the Romantic Movement’s influence on contemporary Paganism, crop circles as a new religious movement, and how hope for a city was embodied in a local arts scene (that was the PhD).
- I once proposed to do my graduate work in England on how spirituality takes material form in trees, crop circles, stained glass and ruins. I still want to do that research.
- In a former life I was a stage manager, and co-founded and managed a successful Shakespeare in the park theatre company.
- I’ve also trained as a Neuropsychology coach and taught Insight Meditation at a Yoga studio.
- I’m super goofy, have an ironic sense of humour, and I offer tea and cookies (virtual or otherwise) whenever I can!
- I’m a TOTAL tarot geek! In the over 20 years I’ve been drawing cards, my deck collection, love and passion for the tarot just keeps growing.
- Along with being a Buddhist with a deep love of the Goddess, my spirituality is an undefined Earth Path (and I like it that way).
- I started drumming just after my 40th Birthday because I didn’t want to get to the end of my life and only wished I had drummed. We’ll call my drumming intuitive. Really, it simply brings me joy.
- …And Kermit the Frog is my hero. Seriously, he was the first dreamer to come into my life and say that dreaming is worth doing. Plus, he’s a bit of a worry wort which made me feel normal. Feeling normal when you really feel green is great!
“To say working with Vanessa changed my life is a bit of an understatement. The teaching Vanessa offers and the way she holds space has healed my soul and brought me back to myself in so many ways.” -Love Letter Reader
More of My Writing:
Note: All photos are my own.